Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Aurelia Valencia Gonzalez - Our Grandma



I intend on revising "My First Post," as it serves as an overview of this blog and what to expect, also because there should be updates from my research.

This post will be about Grandma Gonzalez, my Mothers Mother. My Grandmother, Aurelia Valencia Gonzalez was a saint in my eyes. She was a give all/ do all mother, and was so loving and kind to me. Now, out of deference to my cousin, I must say that not all of my cousins, her other Grandchildren, felt as close to her as I did.

She was home to me, and I love her dearly.

Here is what I remember about her. She was always at my Grandfather's side, was fiercely loyal to him, and our family. She was always cooking, and I found her food to be unique to anyone else's cooking. Her specialties were her biscuits and chili con carne. People would wait and fight for these when they were ready. I really enjoyed her macaroni and cheese (Mexican style) and her breakfast. She could really fill a house with warmth and good smelling food.

Family was important to her - and well it didn't always work, but she never gave up on her hope that the family should be loving and united.

She kept her home open to anyone in need and was always able to make a big meal - even when we'd scoured her refrigerator for something to eat and found nothing.

She gave me a small cross when I went to the Army, and I have cherished this piece of her my whole life.

When my Grandfather passed, I stayed with her the whole night she was in the church, at Saint Daniel's. This, in my life,  is the most precious time given to me by her and God. Her heart was broken, and she needed my Grandpa back. She talked to him that night, I believe this, and it was so painful to see my Grandmother lost in this new world without the man she had shared her whole life with. In this instance, I got to see what love meant and what a treasure it can be when it's lost here on Earth. They will be together again. There can't be any other way.

I will revise this as I remember more about her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment